‘Getting your dream job is much easier if you’re able to find the smartest way“. You know that you’re in competition, You must have some extra-terrestrial skills, A bang interview preparation and A power packed resume to beat your competitors and fetch that dream job. You also know that all these things will work out only when you get an interview call.
Since you are not the only one dreaming about that company, The other dreamers will also find their ways to get in there. You must do something extraordinary than just searching for their openings and sending your email with your resume attached to stand out of the competition. One such extraordinary yet easier way to land your dream job is using “Google Alert“
What is a Google Alert?
It is a content change detection and notification service which notify you on the specific topics/things when you ask google to monitor.
How it works?
- It will send you an e-mail when new entries or even a single entry are added to the top search results for the specific search term you ask Google to monitor.
- It helps you stay up to date on what is the most popular and particularly about topics that are important to you.
- All you need to do is to add the topic/term you want alerts from.
How Google Alerts help you to land your dream job?
- It will notify you everything about your dream company.
- You’ll learn about Job openings, business opportunities and key personnel changes of them long before the general public takes notice.
- You can apply first and fast once the Job openings were announced. This will get you a chance for an interview.
- With the help of these “insider information”, You can share their current moves and projects at the interview. This gives you a big advantage over your competition.
Here are the 6 ways you can use Google Alerts to get your dream job.
Research Your Dream Company:
Set up a Google Alert for your dream industry name and Google will let you know about new items in the top search results for the industry. It will help you to keep up to date of your dream company.
Monitor the company’s Employers:
Do research on your dream company’s Linkedin page and find the reputed employers, key players, HR managers. Do add their name into the Google Alert.
- Add the employers’ name between the quotation marks (“Employers Name”).
- If You want alerts from more than one employer, then use ‘OR’ (“Name 1” or “Name 2”).
- If you want more than two, then add many names using ‘OR’ (“Name 1” or “Name 2” or “Name 3” or so on…).
- You can customize the type of information you want to know about them. By clicking the edit icon, You can find “Sources“. On “sources”, You can select the type of information (news, Blogs, Web etc..)
Research the Job Openings:
You can directly add the term “[company name] hiring” to the alert. Google Alert will notify you once they post any job listings or details about their upcoming recruitment.
Example: “Google Hiring”.
Research the location:
Set up a Google Alert like ” [Specific Location Name] ( [company name] expanding or [company name] hiring) ” and Google will let you know if they extend their company to particular location or if they hire at the particular location.
Example: “New Delhi ( Apple expanding or Apple hiring)”
Research for inside scoops:
Set up an alert using some phrases like “[Company Name] competitors or [Company Name] strategic plans or [Company Name] current projects or so on…” You can add anything you want to know about the company here. Google will notify you about the thing you want.
Example: “Apple competitors or Apple strategic plans”
This will help you share about the current industry at the interview and your recruiter will be impressed by your research. You’re half done your ‘In’.
The last and the important way to land into your company is by researching yourself. After your resume hits the recruiter’s eye, he will google you to analyse your online presence by typing the name you put on your resume. If the results aren’t good, You will lose your interview chance for sure. Set up an alert like “Your First Name Your Last Name” and do ‘defensive googling’ to get an interview call.
Example: “Ronald Kepler”
How to setup an Alert?
- Go to https://www.google.co.in/alerts#.
- Enter a search term for the topic you want to track. As you enter your terms, view a preview of the results below.
- Choose Show Options to narrow the alert to a specific source, language, and/or region.
- Specify how often, how many, and how to receive alerts.
- Select Create Alert.
Follow these steps, Get an interview call, Crack in your interview and land in your dream job faster than your competitors!